rewind, part 2

As promised, here is part 2 of my busy week recap! My brother came to visit me on his fall break last week. He arrived last Sunday and stayed through Thursday morning. It was Dave’s first time to New York, and we had so much fun!

He arrived on Sunday afternoon, and I almost immediately dragged him down to the Brooklyn Flea. It turns out that the Flea, while one of my favorite things to do, did not impress my brother! When describing it to Matt, he said, “Have you ever been to a garage sale?” Ha, I guess it’s not for everyone! We saw Liz and Matt off, and then we headed into Manhattan.

At this point, all three of us (myself, my brother, and Marc) were all pretty tired. We were also hungry, so we got $1.99 falafel sandwiches at Eva’s and ate them in Washington Square Park while people-watching. We strolled through the Village and up into Gramercy, wandering through the enormous and completely overwhelming Eataly before deciding to head home and get Thai from the new place in our neighborhood.

On Monday, as I mentioned, Dave and I visited the Statue of Liberty. We had tickets to go as far as the monument base and, let me tell you, my heart was in my throat just on my way up those stairs! I think my brain remembered the spiral staircase up to the crown and was trying to prevent me from attempting that again! Despite our inability to escape a group of unruly German (or possibly Dutch) teenagers, we had a great time. It was a beautiful day to visit the statue.

We then took the ferry over to Ellis Island and toured the museum there before heading back to Battery Park and visiting the National Museum of the American Indian. I wouldn’t waste your time with that museum. It’s a Smithsonian museum, but most of the collection is down in Washington DC. We kept thinking we were missing something – like a whole wing – but the museum there is really very tiny. It is free, though!

After that, I took Dave on a tour of Lower Manhattan: we visited Alexander Hamilton’s grave at Trinity Church, walked over to Wall Street and the NYSE, walked over to Ground Zero, and then walked up to the NY Supreme Court. That was when we decided that we needed some frozen margaritas, so we headed home to check out Habana Outpost. We returned home shortly after that, and that was when the hail started. We waited it out and then went to Pequena for dinner.

I’ll finish my brother’s visit in the next post! Until then, you can check out the pictures from his trip on Flickr!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s