New Englanding: Day One

It wasn’t until Friday afternoon before Independence Day that we realized neither of us would have to work (much) over the weekend, and so, over drinks on the Southwest Porch, we started plotting our escape from the city. We woke up early the next morning, grabbed our suitcase and bagels from the bagel place downstairs, and jumped on the train. We plowed down Canal Street, which was something of a feat, considering how many people with suitcases were jamming the sidewalks. We got there just in the nick of time to secure two seats on the 7:45 a.m. bus to Boston, and then we were off!

Once in Boston, we stopped for lunch. We were looking for banh mi to go, but we came across Xinh Xinh and decided to have a sit-down Vietnamese meal instead. (That was definitely that way to go! It was so good!) Once we had refueled, we headed on to pick up our rental car.

We headed first to Salem, Massachusetts. We had visited Salem during our last trip through New England, but it had been evening by the time we had arrived, and all we had done there was eat dinner. I’ve always been interested in the Salem Witch Trials, so I had been disappointed to have been in Salem but not gotten to see any of the historical sites. This time, we walked through the so-called Witch House. It’s the former home of Jonathan Corwin, one of the judges from the witch trials, and it is the last remaining building that has any ties to the trials. It presented a really interesting mixture of information about the witch trials and glimpses into daily life in the late seventeenth century.


The Witch House

After we left the Witch House, we walked down through the Maritime area. We saw some historic buildings from when Salem was an important port city, as well as a large replica of a ship.


toes & barnacles

After we left Salem, we moved on to Plum Island. We checked out the beach there and played in the sand for a while, and then we headed south on the island to the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge. We walked along the beaches there, which were much rockier than the beaches on the more northern part of island. The rocks were covered in little barnacles, and we saw so many tiny starfish! I was a big fan of the starfish.

I'm holding a starfish!

From our last trip to New England, we remembered that waiting until 9:00 p.m. to start looking for dinner was a bad idea. We watched the sun set over the marshes at the refuge, and then we headed to out for dinner. We stopped at Bob Lobster and had fantastic, indulgent sandwiches. Marc got a lobster roll, and I had possibly the best fried fish sandwich that I have ever had.

sunset over the marshes

From the parking lot, we used our phones to find a place to stay in Manchester, New Hampshire, and we headed there to sleep.

Coming next : We climb a mountain!


One response to “New Englanding: Day One

  1. Pingback: New Englanding: Day Three | perky to a fault

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s